This science fair project is about creating a small spark of electricity due to the action of static electricity. Lightning in its original form has a voltage of about 100000000V.
Aim of the project:
To create a small spark using the concept of static electricity.
- A thin aluminium sheet or plate
- A plastic rod (a pen can be used)
- A block of styrofoam
- A piece of wool
- Take the aluminium plate and glue the pen to its middle so that it stands vertically. Make sure the pen is glued firmly.
- Rub the piece of Styrofoam with the woolen cloth piece. Make sure you don’t touch the styrofoam with your bare hands.
- Lift the aluminium plate-pen assembly by the pen and place it on the middle of the styrofoam. Be sure not to touch the plate with your hands.
- Switch off the lights and bring your finger close to the aluminium plate. You will see a tiny spark between your hand and the aluminium plate.