To study the effect of soap molecules spreading in water using an interesting experiment.
- A large pan with some water in it.
- Some foil paper.
- A pair of scissors.
- A soap solution.
- A matchstick.
- Perfectly flatten the foil paper using a flat surface and then cut out a ‘boat’ using scissors. (don’t worry, it is just a 2D boat, see the pic below)
- Make a small channel at one end of the boat with a small circular cavity at the end of the channel. (See the pic below)
- Place the boat gently on the surface of the water in the dish.
- Dip the matchstick in the soap solution and carefully deposit a drop or two of soap solution in the cavity of the boat. The boat will accelerate quickly and speed across the water in the opposite direction of the channel.