The aim of this experiment is to demonstrate a homemade volcanic eruption.
1. 6 cups flour
2. 2 cups salt
3. 4 tablespoons cooking oil
4. warm water
5. plastic soda bottle
6. dishwashing detergent
7. food coloring
9. baking dish or other pan
10. 2 T baking soda
1. The first step is making the volcano material. For this mix 2 cups of salt, 4 tea spoons of oil, 2 cups of water and 6 cups of flour and make a smooth and firm mixture. Add more water if necessary.
2. Take the empty soda bottle and stand it vertically in the baking pan.
3. Mold the mixture around the bottle into a volcano shape. Make sure that you don’t cover the mouth of the bottle.
4. Now fill the bottle to the neck with red colored warm water.
5. Add 6 drops of detergent and two table spoons of baking soda to the water.
6. Slowly pour the vinegar into the bottle and watch the eruption.
How does this happen:
The lava here is formed by the chemical reaction between vinegar and baking soda. Due to this carbon dioxide gas is produced. This increases pressure inside the bottle and pushes the ‘lava’ out of the bottle. The detergent helps to produce bubbles in the lava giving it a better look.