The aim of this science fair project is to make a simple electromagnet using iron nail.
- A long iron nail
- A copper wire of length 1 meter (lightly insulated)
- 1 or two cells of batteries
- Paper clips
How to Make the Electromagnet?
- Remove the insulation at both the ends of the wire to a length of 2 centimeter.
- Attach one end of the copper wire to the positive side of the battery
- Closely wind the iron nail with the remaining copper wire but at least 10 centimeter of wire at the other end.
- Now attach the free end of the copper wire to the negative end of the battery.
- Bring the nail nearer to the paper clips. You can see that the nail is now a magnet and it attracts the paper clips.
When current passes through a coil, a magnetic field is created around it. This field magnetizes the core which is the iron nail, and this in turn attracts the paper clips.
How to improve your magnet’s strength?
- The thicker the core is, the better.
- The more closely the wire is wound together, the better
- The tighter the wire is wound around the core, the better.